The Donate a Gate (DaG) scheme has taken off with numerous parishes now realising that there is actually someone out there with whom they can deal and get things done. On 18 Jan 2017 Oving Paths Action Group (OPAG) was formed in the Black Boy public house. This group of parish councillors and concerned resident walkers had produced a report highlighting fifty problems on Oving footpaths. On the same day, 18 Jan, we replaced one stile with a self-closing timber gate kindly sponsored by the resident landowner through the DaG scheme complete with a plaque. Full details can be found in the relevant activity report below, Parishes actively involved include Mentmore, Oving, Westcott, Wing and Wingrave. Improvements in Wing and Wingrave are pretty much complete.
Currently available sites for Donate a Gate include:
- Brill SP658141 Stile to Kissing Gate (KG)
- Granborough SP760261 Stile to Gate
- Hardwick SP802198 Two Stiles to Gates either side of wide hedge
- Hoggeston – 3 or 4 stiles to gates under discussion locally
- Ickford - Stile to gate at SP648077 and potentially at SP649076 opposite the Rising Sun public house
- North Marston Additional sites on Matthew's Way being actively sought - Matthew's Way anniversary walk on 7/5/17
- Marsh Gibbon SP643232 2 x Stiles to Gates
- Oving - OPAG has around five DaGs in the offing - many more planned
- Pitchcott SP774206 Stile to Gate on Matthew's Way - landowner permission not yet sought
- Preston Bissett SP658296 - Six Stiles to Gates on Copperhouse Far
- Westcott SP721171 Potential for a Bristol style Centrewire gate to replace a metal seven bar gate with steps incorporated in the gate.